Jason Bock works for a company called DSA, which primarily does IT Support for the US Department of Defense. He is responsible for milWiki, a military enterprise wiki started in 2008 to be an „online internal encyclopedia for the US Department of Defence“. Milwiki is one component of an overall suite of DoD social business tools called milSuite. The milWiki alone supports 400.000 users and contains more than 20.000 articles in more than 7.000 categories.
In 2010 Semantic MediaWiki and later Semantic Forms were introduced to milWiki, which had a major impact on the data integrity.
In his talk at the Enterprise MediaWiki Conference 2016 in New York Jason Bock informed about some social aspects they built into the system also implemented by the functions of Semantic Mediawiki.
- Instead of „normal“ wiki user page there is a template/form with certain fields,
- Minimum information of the user like name, foto, skills, location and some tags to match across users,
- Alternatively, the PageNotice extension can add a template with information on acquired points or badges in the header or footer of the user page.
- Customer wanted to have a rating tool like in TripAdvisor
- Elected to go with the SemanticRating extension which places a form on any wiki page generating a subpage for the rating and the review.
- Implemented an template which shows all ratings and reviews in a list attached to the article
- Calculation from all the ratings on the subpages to get an average score of „stars“
- Introduces elements of gamification to the wiki
- Rewards users for creating, editing and gardening efforts
- Special feature: points for users for each additional author who contributes to a page that user created
- Point calculation shown in a sidebox on user page
Automated User Badges
- Manually badges did not work,
- Automated badging system like in Foursquare and ProjectNoah (National Geographic),
- Rewards participation within specific topic areas,
- Helps to identify the experts for certain topics,
- Tap into Semantic Ratings effort to reward users who receive positive reviews on articles.
At the end of the talk Jason shows some very useful code examples concerning the mentioned social functions.